Sunday, August 23, 2009

Letter to Your College Student

This blog entry is for parents who are sending kids off to college. I have crafted a letter that you can give them to help prepare them for success in college. The letter is below. You have my permission to copy the letter and use it to encourage your student. Just make sure you insert their name in the letter. And while you are giving your child the letter, don't forget to give a copy of my book, The Secret to College Success.

Dear _______:

The moment we have been planning for so long is finally here. You are going to college. This moment has been years in the making and you have done it. You have worked so hard to get to this point and this is an achievement you have truly earned. All your assignments in school, all the extra activities, all the extra work, have brought you to this point. I want you to know that I am very, very proud of you. And I want you to be proud of this moment too. This is your moment to shine and I want you to shine brightly.

Remember, you are leaving home but you're not leaving us. Leaving home is a rite of passage, a part of becoming an adult. I look back over the years where I watched over you and did my best to keep you safe and loved. I remember the child who asked questions about everything and who wanted to be adventurous. You are now embarking on your next great adventure. Enjoy the journey.

College is a place where you can spread your wings and grow. It's where you can flex your intellectual muscles and soak in the knowledge that will surround you. You are entering a time of your life that is exciting and rewarding. You are beginning a chapter of your life where many people make life long friends. Choose them wisely.

If you ever doubt yourself in college I want you to remember this one thing. You are ready. You are ready for college and I believe in you. Believe in what you can accomplish and you will accomplish great things.

This is your time. While you will be missed, it is great to know you will be working toward your future. Remember it is your future. You will be making decisions in college that will affect how your life will be years from now. Make choices that will be good for you; your choice of study should reflect you, not me or anyone else. Get all the information you need to make good choices. I trust your judgment. Now you trust yourself.

When your eyes are red from studying too late or from crying because you miss home, I want you to know that I love you and I am so very proud of you. Do not give up. Remember you can be a success in college. Look at what you have already accomplished. You graduated high school and made it to college! Learn, learn, learn while you are at college. You will have so many doors open to you while there. This is your time.

You are on a path to greatness. Follow your road.
+++

No comments: